Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oh girl

Two milestones for us this evening, all in the space of a half hour:

Zoe is a very good girl. Even if she's being a bit 'naughty' and messing around in her room at bedtime instead of sleeping, she never gets out of bed. But with potty training, we've actually been trying to get her to get up and out of bed on her own. Up to now, to no avail; she's opted to call to me over the monitor until I come up and get her out of bed. But tonight, while at the sink finishing up the dinner dishes, I heard a scritch-scratch, pitter-patter. I thought it was a cat doing an unpleasant thing, but was happily surprised to hear Zoe's sweet and sleepy voice behind me: "mommy, I have to go potty." Awesome. This is significant headway!

Bittersweet the next: Just as I settled in with a beer, some chocolate and my knitting, I heard "mommy!" again over the monitor. With a sigh and a slump in my shoulders, I went up. Asking what was the matter, she answered "I've got a scary in my bedroom..." AWWWWWWW. Now, while the offender was our nemesis, "Goose" (he rears his ugly head whenever Zoe's feeling "nervous", rather, reluctant or even obstinate), this was the first time he'd caused trouble in the bedroom, at bedtime. Our first scary monster!!

Happy to see you though both these bits, bug. Sweet girl.

No comments: