Wednesday, January 22, 2014

GET VIDS - Within a matter of seconds–May 2013

We took Zoe’s training wheels off in late fall, 2012. So late, that we really didn’t get much practice on the bike without them before the truly crappy weather emerged.

Then, come spring, we had those new Xmas scooters to break in and the bike became ‘that thing we should do’ but didn’t. That, and I have to admit, I wasn’t overly excited about hunching over to steady Zoe’s reluctant riding.

And man, she was reluctant.

And then one day, the Waddells came over for a visit and brought their bikes for some spins in the circle. Lucy was already on her two wheels and working her way into using handbrakes. And I committed, then and there, to make riding on two wheels a daily thing for Zoe.

So, the next day, I took her out. And she got, let’s say, reluctant. So she bailed and I didn’t fight it. But I did notice that her little sister was tearing up the street on her little scoot bike, so I suggested to Dave that he take her training wheels off her two-wheeler.

And then he set her up at the top of the slope where she confidently said over her shoulder “Dad, I got this.” So he let her go. And go she did!

Seconds later – after my disbelieving hoots and hollers – Zoe suggested that if Maggie could do it, perhaps she could try again.

So she did. And she nailed it!

I don’t have pix of Maggie’s first ride because, well, I wasn’t expecting it to be a true maiden voyage, but these shots and vids were all taken within minutes of each other.

Amazing.
IMG_20130519_123827_609
Scoot
IMG_20130519_123846_488IMG_20130519_123922_558
WILL HAVE TO POST THE VIDS TO YOUTUBE!
And then these, a few days later:
IMG_20130524_173307_357
This did make us realize that both girls had outgrown their old bikes…they looked a little clownish on them!

No comments: