Wednesday, November 7, 2007

What a difference a week makes!




I mean, we still of course have this adorable and lovely little baby girl. She's still all sweet and smiles. But now this girl is on track! She's sleeping through the night like she hasn't since the night before her four month check-up (yes, literally since THAT night). She's raring up to move - rocking on her knees instead of just rolling around the floor. Her little personality is really taking shape and finding new outlets. All that and her terrible little cough has finally started to subside since we caved and put her on antibiotics.

This has been a big week, otherwise. This weekend felt a little short because Friday evening was about prepping for our gal pal, Linda's, baby shower that we helped throw on Saturday. It was fantastic to see her all preggers and happy - yes glowing - and on the precipice parenthood. It was a lovely, but long, day. Sunday was all about catching up on preps for the busy week ahead. Tuesday, I left before dawn to head over to Quincy in central WA, to present at a conference my program had put together. After three hours of talking, I hit the road to get home again for dinner. I just didn't want to spend the night there! Today, we got up early so that I could return the rental car I'd used for my trip, and then dropped off Dave at work. This afternoon, Zoe and I took our kitty, Lucy, to the vet to get some attention to her persistent cough - yes, our kitty's been coughing horribly. So now Lucy and Zoe are *both* on antibiotics! Tomorrow, I'll be working late, presenting again, this time to folks at the Seattle Public School District and grabbing a bus home from downtown to Shoreline so that Dave can tend to bug without disrupting her evening routine.

I'm reading this back to myself now and realize that I sound like I'm saying 'poor me', however I guess what it's really all about is that I'd much prefer being a little tired and extended than to stay away from home - from Dave and Zoe - for more than I have to, or to disrupt the balance and rhythm that we work so hard to find. I won't say that there aren't moments when I miss how simple life was before we worried about a 7pm bedtime or whether our baby eats a good dinner, but those "complications" become nothing, totally vanish, when I walk in the door and see that little girl smile. Her appreciation of me, of my simply being there, is all it takes to make me grow humble. I'm honored to be of service :)

No comments: