Friday, January 23, 2009

9 months.

We've about made it.

9 months.

Nearly full term.

I'm ready :)

I had a midwife appointment yesterday (which was exactly T-minus 3 weeks to delivery day) and all is pretty well. I've still had some liver tenderness, have been puffy/swelling since about Zoe's b-day and my blood pressure, though still in normal range, has been creeping up a little, so we're keeping a bit of a closer eye on things. Being left to tune in to 'symptoms' isn't any fun - a bit too much pressure if you ask me - so if a weekly liver panel and pee test for pre-eclampsia can help us to keep everything in check, I'm game. Unlike the tests I underwent in the early days of this pregnancy, these tests and results have been welcome aids in keeping my paranoia at bay. Still never thought I'd be this sort of pregnant woman - with a planned C and hyper-examined gestation, to-boot - but here I am. So it goes.

OK. That sounds depressing. I'm not depressed. Not nearly. I laugh hard and readily, and yes, I do cry more readily, too. But all in all I'd say I'm in good if not great spirits most of the time. I *am* tired. (Oh, did I mention that before?) So very tired. But I'm happy to report that I think I've dropped and the nesting instinct has taken full hold. Dave can confirm the nesting with the 30-some-odd loads of baby laundry we did last weekend. All the gear and onesies and teeny tiny socks and sleepers have been washed, folded and put into place. Zoe's move into her big girl bedroom made way for us to move the bump's dresser and such into her old room and put a changing table in our bathroom. I am much relieved to feel a little more prepared :)

It's also fun to report that I had a couple of practice contractions this past weekend. I was at Babies R Us, of all places. They were doozers and did make me take pause, but obviously didn't go anywhere. They occurred almost exactly when I had my practice contraction with Zoe (in the car on the way home from shopping...hmmm...I sense a theme.) Even though the plan is for a C and going into labor would throw a wrench into those works, it was exciting to feel things progressing - to get signals from my body that this pregnancy is close to completion. I've also had tons of Braxton-Hicks contractions for the past couple of months, more so in the past few weeks. Fun little reminders of what the body's preparing to do...

So, I'll also be working on pulling together the 'notifications' list this week. Immediate family members will likely get phone calls while the rest of you may have to accept another emailed announcement. (Amy, would you mind doing the honors again?) We'll gladly take visitors at the hospital, but a call ahead to say you're hoping to come would be appreciated. Otherwise, we'll catch you at our house...or out and about!!

The baby's hospital bag is packed. Mine's not. I can't yet part with any of my maternity wear while I'm still working and I'm not banking on being able to wear anything else after delivery. That, and there's still a tiny piece of me holding off from packing for the hospital because I know that it means being a few days away from Zoe/home and the start of all the transition that we're about to embark upon as a family. As excited as I am to be this close to holding (hugging, kissing, smelling, feeding!) our new little one, I'm just not ready to pack my bag. Maybe next weekend.

A final shot of the bump and some cute shots of Zoe's own preps for her role as big sis:






(*Babies* are a current obsession and hers has received *lots* of attention because of it.)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow - you look fabulous! Kick back and relax while you still can! I'm happy to email out an announcement. Just send over your email list and I'll get it out when the news arrives :)